Recipes, book reviews, monthly favorites, and more! Just your typical lifestyle blog :)

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Autumnal Fresh Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Another sweet recipe!
Have you ever found yourself tasting a new recipe and realizing to your disappointment that it didn't live up to what you expected it to taste like? It wasn't necessarily BAD, but it wasn't anything to jump over either. Well last year I found a recipe for Fresh Apple Cinnamon Muffins and got SUPER EXCITED because they literally looked like what I hoped autumn would TASTE like, but to my dismay they tasted rather bland.

However, I played with the recipe a bunch, and am proud to present my redefined recipe for Fresh Apple Cinnamon Muffins that I actually DO really love eating.

These babies make your house smell AMAZING and they taste like fall food to me, and I absolutely adore making them. I made a batch for my boyfriend last week as a surprise breakfast and he loved them!

I included the original ingredient below just to show you the changes I made.

The ORIGINAL RECIPE CALLED FOR:
(I underlined everything I changed)

1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) melted butter
1/3 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar

As you can see from my underlining everywhere I changed the original recipe quite a bit, and I even added some vanilla for some extra flavor. 


Alright so for MY recipe you're going to need:
  • 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup white sugar (you could also try brown sugar. I haven't tried that yet but I've been considering it. Let me know how it turns out)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup half and half or whole milk (I used half and half)
  • 1 and 1/2 medium to large apples (the recipe tastes weird if you don't have enough apple), chopped into small CHUNKS (the previous recipe called for finely chopped)
  • 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) melted butter
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans (this measurement is rough. Kinda like when you measure out chocolate chips for cookie dough. You're going to want a fair amount of nuts stirred into your batter, and then you're going to need about 1/4 cup extra to go on top of the muffins in the end, so just have a bag of nuts on hand to experiment with until you find what you like)
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
Makes: roughly 17 (used to make 12 but when I changed ingredients it screwed up the yield)
Cook time: 15-20 min (for me it only takes 15-16 minutes to bake these because I use a convection oven)

  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Line 1 and 1/2 cupcake/muffin tins with paper liners
  • Peel and chop apples (this time I used 1 large apple and 1 small apple instead of 1/5 large)
  • In a small bowl combine brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 cup chopped pecans. Adjust pecan amount to desire
  • In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt, and APPROXIMATELY 1/2 cup pecans
  • Whisk with a fork and add more pecans if necessary
  • In a medium bowl, beat together the egg and half and half (or whole milk. I like to whip this until it's frothy but not thick
  • Stir in chopped apple, and melted butter
  • Add dry ingredients all at once (the original recipe calls for you to add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients but that took too much work and didn't taste any different)
  • Stir until just mixed
  • Scoop into muffin tins filling each cup about 2/3 full, and use a spoon to top off each muffin with a sprinkle of the cinnamon-brown-sugar-pecan topping
  • Bake and enjoy :)


Let me know in the comments if you tried and enjoyed this recipe! Happy autumn to you all :)


No comments:

Post a Comment